Friday, July 24, 2009

A Firm Foundation

This afternoon I was reading about a Christian artist who a few years ago went through a painful year including the death of her parents, a daughter’s suicide and the breakup of her marriage. When discussing the marriage breakup she said “the marriage fell out from under me because the spiritual foundation of the home fell short.”

After spending over 40 years in the construction industry in one capacity or another I for one know how critical the foundation is to the long term life of any project. I am firmly convinced that God, once we become His child begins to work on and in us to turn us into the child that He wants us to be, as any father would. This begins the solid foundation. Once we become that child, He then can begin to mold and build us into becoming the man or woman that He wants us to be. Once we are the man or woman He wants us to be then we can further the project and become the husband or wife and then the parents and so forth.

There are a couple of keys to this whole process. First and foremost we have to yield to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. If we are not willing to do that then our foundation will never be firm. Secondly, we need to obey His word. Step by step God will refine us, build us and make us all He wants us to be if we are totally yielded to Him. Look at Acts 11:5-8 the story of Peter’s dream as he was praying. Peter says “I was in the city of Joppa praying; and in a trance I saw a vision, an object descending like a great sheet, let down from heaven by four corners; and it came to me. When I observed it intently and considered, I saw four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. And I heard a voice saying to me, 'Rise, Peter; kill and eat. But I said, Not so, Lord! For nothing common or unclean has at any time entered my mouth.” The phrase Peter uttered, “NOT SO LORD” is an impossible statement to make. You can’t say no to the Lord if He truly is the Lord. So being totally yielded to Jesus Christ means never telling Him no to anything He tells us to do. If we truly want a solid foundation whether in marriage, business, ministry or life the key is being totally sold out to Jesus Christ.
Grace and Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment